Vectra 3D: Flea and Tick Prevention

May 11, 2011 at 10:08 am 97 comments

flea, tick and mosquito control

We are proud to announce that we  now sell Vectra 3D.  It is the latest addition to our flea and tick arsenal.  Biting ecto-parasites have been a growing concern in the northeast for the last 5 years or so … and just like with everything else, these parasites are evolving past our preventative products.  Many flea and tick products lose efficacy in the 4th week after application … they don’t kill fast enough … some of them only kill if the animal is bitten … They simply aren’t working to our satisfaction anymore.

How is Vectra 3D different?

Using Vectra 3D once monthly, year round will provide your dog with powerful protection against fleas, ticks and mosquitoes, including after bathing and swimming for 30 days … not up to 30 days … Unlike other products, there is no protection drop off after 21 days.  I’ll say it again: Vectra 3D protects your dog, and household for 30 days.

This product works by effectively preventing disease transmission.  It is a flea, tick and mosquito REPELLENT/KILLER.  Applying Vectra 3D will begin to kill fleas already occupying your animal in 6hrs.  We all know that the longer these ecto-parasites remain on your dog, the greater the chance your dog could get sick.  Vectra 3D effectively prevents all stages of the flea life cycle, controlling adult fleas, flea eggs, flea larvae and adolescent fleas essentially breaking the life cycle at every juncture.  This product also repels and kills 3 different species of mosquitoes including those that transmit heartworm disease to dogs and cats.  It also repels and kills 4 types of ticks that transmit Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, ehrlichiosis, anaplasmosis and tick paralysis.  All of these diseases are now very prevalent in the northeast.

Vectra 3D is proven effective even after bathing, swimming, and exposure to rain!  You don’t have to wait 2 days before and after exposure to water to apply Vectra 3D.  It drys in 4 hours, so if you apply it right before bedtime … it will be dry and your dog will be ready to go for your 6am walk. Does Vectra protect against mosquitos? Simply hold the tube upright, place thumb and index finger around the applicator tip (under the large disk).  With your other hand, grasp the stem of the applicator tip (above the smaller disk).  To puncture the tamper proof seal, press down firmly until both disks meet.  The product is now ready to use.tubed flea and tick prevention with vectra

Vectra 3D is made for dogs and cats, but it is very important to give this medication properly as the Vectra 3D for dogs CANNOT BE USED ON CATS!  Vectra 3D for dogs is toxic to cats during the 4 hour necessary dry time.  If you apply the liquid as directed (at night before bed) … simply keep the dogs and cats separate for the duration of your slumber.  They will be able to once again socialize by morning without consequence.  If your cat does come into contact (i.e. the dog product is applied accidentally to the cat, or the cat grooms the dog where the medication was applied before the required drying period is over) contact your veterinarian immediately to avoid any harmful effects.

Before deciding to carry this product in our clinic, we did extensive research, met with company representatives, and we are currently dosing our own pets.  We have been very pleased with the results, and our full confidence is behind this product.  Please feel free to e-mail us or call us if you are interested in more information, or if you would like to purchase this product.

This product is only available for purchase through your veterinarian.  Online pharmacies are not allowed (by law) to sell this product.  If you come across such a pharmacy please notify your veterinarian as this is an illegal use/distribution of this product.Coupon for flea and tick prevention

vectra flea and tick prevention for dogscat flea and tick prevention with vectra

About these ads

Entry filed under: Cat Diseases, Dog Diseases, General Clinic Information, Home Health Care: Cats, Home Health Care: Dogs, Preventative Medicine: Cats, Preventative Medicine: Dogs, Seasonal Dangers For Your Pet. Tags: .

Just a little veterinary Q & A F.D.A. Weighs in on Online Pet Pharmacies

97 Comments Add your own

• 1. nancy kramer  |  May 30, 2011 at 6:16 pm

I applied Vectra to my dog and 2 days later picked off 5 ticks. I would not feel safe using it again.

• 2. knurse  |  June 1, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Thank you for your feedback. Feedback on new products that we are advocating for is very helpful. We actually see this problem commonly (with all flea and tick products) when the application is not successful.

First and foremost, you must be absolutely certain that you are applying the right size for your animal. If you are lingering between two different sizes, choose the greater weighted size. A 56lb. dog will NOT be protected by a size ranging between 21-55lbs.

Secondly, you need to make sure that you are applying the medication directly to the skin … not on his/her coat. If the medication does not get applied directly to bare skin, it will not be absorbed, and it will not work.

Thirdly, make sure the the entire tube of medication is used. The pre-filled tubules are filled with a precise amount of medication, and if you do not use it all … it will not work. Suggested application for a dog under 55lbs. is applying the liquid to 4 or 5 spots on it’s back. Suggested application for a dog over 55lbs. is applying the liquid to 6 or 7 spots on it’s back.

If you are still uncomfortable with using this product, please contact Arlington Animal Clinic directly so that we may direct you towards a product that better suits your needs.

• 3. LA Thacker  |  June 8, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Vectra 3d almost killed my cat. My cat grooms our dog and we were NEVER told that it was harmful to cats. Our vet did not tell us to separate our cats and dogs after the application. We just spent over 2000 trying to keep our cat alive. He was hospitalized for 5 days and rendered blind by this awful product. Our vet then admitted that it is harmful to kids too! Would have been nice to have known all of that before we bought the product! This product should be taken off the market!

• 4. knurse  |  June 9, 2011 at 10:13 am

Thank you for your concern. We at Arlington Animal Clinic absolutely stress client education! When we are recommending a product to a particular client, we always take into consideration their life style, and make sure that the client is fully aware of the possible dangers as well as the benefits of any product that we sell.

If you will notice, in our blog on Vectra 3D, we clearly state that the Vectra 3D for dogs should not be used on cats, and furthermore that dogs and cats should be separated for a minimum of 4-8hrs. after application. When we are selling the product, we also point out this warning on the label so that we are certain that the client is aware.

Our recommendation is that the product be applied right before bed, and that cats and dogs should be separated over night. All topical medications that are absorbed through the skin pose a potential threat to children (including but not limited to Revolution, Frontline Plus, Advantix, Hydrocortisone Ointment, Bengay etc.). Children should be warned to stay away from areas that any topical medication is applied. Again, this is why we recommend applying it before bed, so that the temptation to pet the dog is removed from the equation.

Again, I am extremely sorry for your situation. We at Arlington Animal Clinic do feel that it is our job to make sure that you (the client) are fully informed of any treatment or product that we recommend. We always encourage other veterinary clinics to assume the same responsibility … but sadly … that is out of our control.

• 5. Kari  |  September 5, 2012 at 10:57 am

The TUBE says directly ON IT not get it near cats or kids. If you applied it yourself, you should have read it. If you DIDN”T, apply it yourself, I have a really hard time believeing the person who did didn’t tell you those instructions. As a responsible pet owner, I would NEVER allow anyone to apply anything to my dogs without completely explaining the risks first. We wouldn’t use ANYTHING else now that we have used Vectra.

• 6. john sa  |  June 25, 2013 at 11:07 pm

la thacker / r u serious ? If its bad for the dog to lick the site or ingest the medicine then its just plain bad for any living thing.

Read the directions next time. Please dont allow a cat to groom your Dog. That to is just plain – well – not smart. Dont blame the VET for not reading the directions that come with the meds.

• 7. Gaylord Thompson  |  June 21, 2011 at 7:53 am

Vectra 3 D does not work at all for ticks I have used it since October of 2011 and now that we are in the height of tick season in Virginia the only ticks falling off my 2 labs are very fat blood engorged ticks. I will discontinue using this product and purchase another brand.

• 8. Paige in Philly  |  June 22, 2011 at 7:07 pm

I cannot help but notice that none of these posts are done by people in the “northeast”. I am close to Philly and this drug works perfectly for the tick species that we have up here. I have been using the product for 5 months, and I have not seen ANY ticks! I usually am pulling them off of myself after our walks. We LOVE this product!!! Correct me if I am wrong, but there was a product designed with the south in mind … Trifexis I believe …

• 9. Gabe  |  July 30, 2011 at 12:19 pm

We purchased Vectra (not sure if it was 3D or not, we have a 3 1/2 month old puppy) Overall we have been generally quite pleased with the results, we have never found ticks on her, our problem was mainly with fleas (we live in Lexington, KY) My question is whether or not it is normal to find a few fleas on our dog 4 days after applying the medicine. If it is normal to find a few stray ones, or perhaps our dog had just picked them up outside and the medicine didn’t have enough time to kill them before I found them then I understand completely. However if this means that the medicine didn’t take or there is some problem and I should re-apply or just wait it out, I need to know. Vectra’s website proved quite unhelpful, any professional insight into the problem would be much appreciated.

• 10. knurse  |  August 1, 2011 at 11:48 am

Vectra 3D will begin to kill fleas on your animal within 6hrs after application … however … it can take some weeks, even a couple of months to get rid of the infestation in your environment. Fleas cannot reproduce on humans, so you absolutely must treat all animals that enter the house. If you have outdoor cats that occasionally come in, treat them too! You may use the Vectra 3D for cats. Make sure NOT to use the Vectra 3D for dogs as it is toxic to cats. We actually like a product called Revolution for indoor/outdoor cats, as it also protects our feline friends from heartworm infections. We suggest a minimum of 3-4 consecutive treatments (30 days apart). We also suggest a very thorough cleaning of the house. Fleas tend to hang out around baseboards (heating vents), carpets … especially the hard to reach corners, under beds … etc.

• 11. rachelle sines  |  August 18, 2011 at 4:55 pm

im wondering if i have a bad batch of vectra, i applied it according to directions.My dog seemed to have some relief for two days but now is back at it. I have cleaned everything. I thought it was supposed to repel fleas. so I’m wondering why she has an infestation again?

• 12. knurse  |  August 19, 2011 at 9:33 am

I am quite sure that you have done everything right, and I do understand how frustrating this can be. Fleas in particular seem to be a very large issue with many pet owners this season. Vectra 3D will treat the animal only, so eggs laid in the environment (your home) will still hatch. These newly hatched fleas will still jump on him/her, as well as you. Fleas can not reproduce after having a human blood meal, they need your pet to survive. If they bite her/him … they will die. By applying the Vectra 3D you have cut off their ability to advance from their current life cycle. This is why it can take several weeks, even a couple of months to stomp out the infestation with out some environmental control being used in conjunction with the Vectra 3D. We do recommend treating your home as well as all animals that enter your home. Here at Arlington Animal Clinic we use a product called Siphotrol Plus II containing PRECOR® insect growth regulator plus adulticides. Use the spray or fogger and make sure you and your pets are removed from the environment long enough for the chemicals to dissipate. Upon re-entry, thoroughly vacuum EVERYTHING! Good Luck!!!

• 13. Phil  |  August 20, 2011 at 10:13 pm

I have a question: I applied the vectra to my cockapoo today and ever since she has been very fidgety and anxious. She can’t lay still or sit still for that matter. I don’t think I will be using this product anymore. Should I be concerned? My vet is the one that prescribed it for my dog. I applied it at about 11:30 am and it is now 10:15pm and she is still not right.

• 14. knurse  |  August 22, 2011 at 12:35 pm

We are told by the drug reps that the actual liquid can feel a little “tingly” right after application. This is a normal and anticipated reaction to the drug being applied. My own dog actually used to rub himself on anything and everything for the first 12-18hrs. after application. He reacted as such for the first 2-4 applications. I have been using the product for about 8 months now and I am no longer seeing him react this way. It is possible that the feeling is so foreign that the animals don’t know what to do with themselves at first. Maybe the feeling dissipates the more the product is used. I do know that we have contacted our reps at Ceva and they have told us that this kind of wiggly disposition is absolutely normal. Personally … this is a calculated risk that I am more than willing to assume so that my dog can get the best flea/tick/mosquito prevention on the market. You also have to weigh the pros and cons to decide if this product is right for you and your dog. If you ultimately decide not to stay with Vectra 3D, there are a variety of other products that your veterinarian can recommend. Good Luck!

• 15. Jess Nye  |  September 3, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Hi, I am in Maine and for the first time ever we are having a flea problem with our dog (and now our house.) So I’ve treated the house and today I gave my dog a flea bath and a Capstar pill, and I bought Vectra to try. My question is, in order to avoid getting it mostly on his fur I applied it to 5 spots on his back instead of 4 (he weighs 31 lbs.) Will it still work if applied to too many spots? Also, even though I parted his hair and made sure I got it on his skin, a few hours after application the spots appear wet and greasy like it’s wicking onto his fur; I’m concerned that maybe it’s not absorbing right? Or is it normal for the fur to be a little wet in those spots?

• 16. knurse  |  September 6, 2011 at 10:09 am

1st a word of caution … It is generally not advised to use that many flea and tick products at once. Please make sure that you contact your veterinarian if you are seeing any signs of a reaction (basically if he/she is acting at all out of his/her norm)

As far as application of the Vetra product … what you are describing is PERFECT! It is never bad to apply it in more than the recommended amount of places … just stick to his/her back … no need to apply it on the ventral aspect (abdomen/groin) of the pet. Vectra 3D does tend to leave a greasy looking streak down the back for a few days … this is normal. Good luck!

• 17. Jess Nye  |  September 6, 2011 at 10:21 am

Oh, yikes; the lady at the vet said it would be OK to do the Capstar and Vectra after the flea bath! I did kind of wonder because my dog is 14 years old and I wasn’t sure about all the pesticide exposure (especially after sptaying the carpets, couch, and his bed as well.) Luckily, he didn’t have a reaction, but I’ll space stuff out more if I need to retreat him. I’ve been reading Vectra reviews online and I’m seeing lots of comments about teyh efficacy wearing off after closer to 3 than 4 weeks. Should I still wait the 4 weeks before the next dose? Maybe if it’s starting to wear off and it hasn’t been 4 weeks I could do a daily Capstar until it’s time for the next dose?

• 18. knurse  |  September 7, 2011 at 11:17 am

It’s not so much the Capstar/Vectra 3D combination that is worrisome … they work differently i.e. Capstar is a systemic medication where as Vectra 3D is not. They are fine to use together under a doctor’s supervision. I actually spoke to a Ceva representative (she also happened to be a DVM) yesterday to confirm this. She did not specify which Capstar product to use however; so it would be best to contact your veterinarian for their recommendation. It’s the flea bath and Vectra 3D that I would space out … in fact, we at Arlington Animal Clinic don’t recommend flea baths or dips at all. As far as efficacy is concerned … the product is labeled, tested at proven to continue efficacy up to and beyond 30 days. I cannot speak to exactly why it wouldn’t work for as long … If you read some of the other blog posts on this site, you can see some of my comments about applying it correctly (which I believe you have), and how important it is to treat all pets in the household as well as your environment (which I believe you have as well). Vectra 3D will not stop eggs from hatching in the environment, and I am suspicious that the reason that people are having difficulty with efficacy is actually due to the eggs hatching in the environment. Although, when applied correctly Vectra 3D will start providing your pet with relief in under 6hrs. … the flea infestation itself can take a couple of months to completely resolve. Make sure to continue use of Vectra 3D well into the fall months … We do realize that treating all year round can be very cost prohibitive, but it really helps to control these otherwise pesky issues.

• 19. Diane Sanders  |  September 12, 2011 at 9:47 pm

I got Vectra all over my one hand as my coon hound Lucy would not hold still. Of course I washed immediately with soap and water but how harmful is it to humans?

• 20. knurse  |  September 14, 2011 at 9:43 am

As technicians, we get these products all over our hands weekly. Washing your hands was most definitely the right thing to do, however I suspect that such products are of little consequence to us. If you are worried at all, do call your own doctor for advise (your human doctor ; ) We are only licensed to give advise as far as your pets are concerned … we don’t do humans … lol

• 21. Sarah  |  August 13, 2012 at 9:55 pm

First of all, thank you to those of you posting and replying to questions–the Vectra site is awful to find information on. I was a vet assistant for years, but wasn’t sure how Vectra was as far as getting wet soon after application. Thank you for the answer.

Also, I applied it to my dogs and within 24 hours, my face felt tingly on the one side. Well, after reading this, I realized it must’ve gotten onto my cheek. I washed my face and it went away soon afterward.

Thank you again for this forum–the questions and answers are great.

• 23. Tara Andrews  |  September 16, 2011 at 11:07 pm

I have been using Vectra 3D on my puppy (5.5 months) and found one tick on his nose last week. He isn’t due to receive another dose until 9/22. Is this normal? It was embedded in his nose as well and the tick was slightly swollen. I pulled it out and the tick didn’t appear to be moving.

• 24. knurse  |  September 20, 2011 at 9:59 am

If the tick did NOT appear to be moving then it was probably dead. This is great! It means the drug is working. It is unfortunately normal to find a tick once in a while … even though Vectra 3D is labeled as a repellent and killer, nothing can be 100% effective. I wouldn’t worry too much about the tick being slightly engorged, as there is no way to know when it’s last blood meal was prior to attaching to your puppy. Go ahead and give the next dose of Vectra 3D right on schedule (9/22ish).

• 25. Jess Nye  |  September 21, 2011 at 12:31 pm

I wrote in back at the beginning of the month and just wanted to update that Vectra seems to be working great. I’ve continued with the vaccuuming and there has been an occasional flea (like 2 or 3 in the last two and a half weeks that have probably hatched because I’ve missed some eggs/pupae while vaccuuming. I think we’ve had a frost here now so outside should be clearing up after a few more frosts (I couldn’t treat outside as we don’t own the property where we live. Anyway, Vectra seems to be working great for our dog and he didn’t have any reaction to it.

• 26. Heidi  |  October 13, 2011 at 10:18 pm

I live in Northern Michigan and I have used Vectra 3D for years on all three of my dogs, and the outdoor cats. I have never had a flea or tic problem. It does take a bit to dry though. What really impresses me is how well it works on the outdoor cats.
    My big question is how long do I have to wait after application to bathe my dog? I just gave it to him and he had to go and roll in something stinky…..I usually bathe him first and then apply Vectra.

• 27. Shelly Wilkins  |  October 15, 2011 at 9:07 pm

I started using Vectra 2 months ago (my vet switched brands) after using Frontline for many years without any problems. For the first time ever, my dog has a flea problem. I reapplied the Vectra after noticing the dog was flea infested, which was only 3 weeks after the 1st application. It only worked for about 2 weeks that time, so I applied one half a dose (didn’t want to OD the dog) and that is not working at all. I still see many fleas.The cats in our house are all on Frontline and have no fleas. We are not getting bitten by fleas, so I know my house is not infested. I applied the Vectra properly and it is the correct dosage for my 12 lb dog (up to 22lbs dose).

Now I have found out that another dog owner who purchased their Vectra at my vets is having a flea problem for the 1st time as well. Have there been any recalls or problems with a particular lot of this product?

I want to switch back to Frontline. Can I do this at this time, after giving the dog the extra doses of Vectra or will I be harming the dog? (I am getting no help from my vet, who says my house or cats must be causing the problem. She refuses to acknowledge that there may be an issue with the product she sold me.)

• 28. knurse  |  October 17, 2011 at 10:55 am

You need to wait a minimum of 3 weeks before actually applying the Frontline. I am sorry to hear that you are having such difficulty with the product. You can, however administer a systemic medication called Capstar in conjunction with the Vectra 3D. This may help to alleviate some of your problem. And always, the key to getting rid of a flea infestation is CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN! NONE of the flea medications can stop the larvae from hatching in the environment.

• 29. Dawn  |  October 15, 2011 at 10:16 pm

We found a couple fleas on our dog last month and had to wait to switch from Frontline to Vectra. He is now 10 days out from treatment and we’ve found a flea on him tonight, the first one in over a week. Meanwhile, the house has been thoroughly vacuumed multiple times, we’ve sprayed pesticide as advised by our vet, and used Capstar (also advised by DVM) until it was safe to apply the Vectra. I did bathe our dog, but not until 3-4 days after the Vectra application. How do I know if it working?

• 30. knurse  |  October 17, 2011 at 10:57 am

The dry time is labeled as 4hrs. but I would suggest waiting a good 8 hrs. after application before bathing the dog. I know it’s a pain when they stink … but if you give it a good 8hrs. you can bathe, swim, spray etc.

• 31. Kenny McCloud  |  October 22, 2011 at 11:09 am

We just applied Vectra 3D according to our Vet’s directions. We kept both dogs (A long-haired
    dachshund and a Hava-poo in the laundry room and put up a gate to keep them from going into other parts of the house. We did a complete cleaning of the entire house. We also used a spray that we bought from the vet on the carpets and furniture. I plan on waiting 48 hours before bathing the dogs. Should I keep them isolated in the laundry room or is it ok for them to enter other parts of the house. Do you reccomend any special cleaning agents to use on the baseboards or other parts of the interior of the house? Once Vectra 3D dries on the dog’s skin is it safe for children to be around them? Thank you for your response.

• 32. knurse  |  October 24, 2011 at 9:49 am

When it comes to cleaning specifically for fleas … what works best is a simple vaccume bag. Just remember when you empty the bag, you should do so outside the house! The labeled dry time for Vectra 3D is 4hrs. We suggest letting it dry overnight, just to be sure … otherwise there are no restrictions. Once the product is dry, it is perfectly safe for everyone … I don’t think they need to be quarantined to the laundry room any further … Good Luck!

• 33. Robbin  |  November 9, 2011 at 11:33 pm

I previously used Frontline on my dog, his last application of that was 3 weeks ago. I noticed he was still really scratching and so I gave him Vectra tonight, about a week ahead of when he probably should have gotten it. Now my daughter just told me she had applied a dose of Frontline last week. I am worried that all of these applications will somehow make my dog sick. He isn’t acting out of the ordinary, seems fine and not fidgety at all. I did wash off this last application about an hour after my daughter told me she had treated him. Should I be worried, or looking for some kind of reaction? By the way- my daughter knows she is no longer allowed to treat him, this way I can keep track of the applications!

• 34. Cristen  |  November 11, 2011 at 11:18 pm

My dog as been on Vectra for the past 4 months with great results! Last week I went out of town, however, and left my dog at a friends house (she has 3 other dogs and let’s them run out back in this wooded area for exercise). When I returned, I pulled 6 fleas off him and suspect there’s a few more. Since he only had a few days since he was due for his monthly Vectra, I gave him his dose right away. I used to use Adams flea shampoo whenever I saw any activity….is it ok to bathe him with Adams shampoo the next day, or is that too much treatment? I just want to get all these suckers as quick as I can!! Thanks!!!

• 35. knurse  |  November 15, 2011 at 11:03 am

Applying the Vectra 3D should be enough to take care of the problem. Applying it a few days ahead of schedule isn’t a problem. As long as you are not doing the flea bath within the allotted dry time (4-8hrs. after application) they shouldn’t interfere with each other. If you did use the flea bath within the allotted dry time, you washed the Vectra 3D right off. I always advise exercising extreme caution when mixing topical products, because although they are not considered systemic, you never know exactly how an individual animal’s body will handle the medications. As long as you are not seeing any adverse reactions to using both products at once I think you (your pet) will be just fine! In the future I would recommend just removing the ticks. Feel free to re-apply the Vectra 3D if the timing allows for it.

• 36. Sheila MacDonald  |  November 29, 2011 at 8:11 pm

I seem to remember reading one must use a certain type of shampoo on dogs that are using the Vectra 3D. Can you tell me what that is ?

• 37. knurse  |  November 30, 2011 at 11:22 am

No special shampoo is necessary. Just make sure that you do not wash them with in 4-8hrs. after applying the medication.

• 38. kaylynne  |  November 30, 2011 at 3:37 pm

my puppy is 6 months old she was treated with vectra yesterday.dismorning she was throwing up and acting very weird. she is usually allways playfull but she hasnt been wanting to move or eat.she hasnt drank any water either.this is very weird for my dog because she never turns down food. right after the vectra was applied she began to bounce around and rub herself all over the couch and she also scratched.

• 39. knurse  |  December 1, 2011 at 12:05 pm

They (Summit) suspect that the tactile sensation produced by the Vectra 3D is kind of a tingling feeling … or like the hair on your arm suddenly standing up. This is a normal reaction to application of Vectra 3D … if you think about it, it’s a completely foreign sensation for a dog! So their reaction can be somewhat “dramatic”. My own dog reacted the same way the first few times I applied it, but by month 3-4 he didn’t even notice.

The vomiting, lethargy, and lack of appetite is somewhat concerning … did she have vaccines yesterday? This is a fairly common vaccine reaction, and you should check with your regular veterinarian regarding what their protocol is.

• 40. kaylynne  |  December 1, 2011 at 4:17 pm

she did not have any vaccines yesterday. the vectra was applied and since she has been sick.she was fine before the vectra.Could it be allergic reaction to the vectra? today it has been 2 days since the vectra was applied. I gave her a bath she was a little “sponky” i would call it after her bath but she went right back to the sickness. i have informed the vet and they said to wait it out but im a still concerned because she doesnt seem to be getting any better. i got her to drink a little bit last night but she has not ate or drank since. i have had animals all my life i nursed my dads dog from parvo. this is really hitting me hard because i dont know what it could be and the vet doesnt seem to be helping. i am going to put an IV in her tonight to pump floods through her body to keep her hydrated. is there anything eles you think i should try?

• 41. knurse  |  December 2, 2011 at 10:41 am

I always advise my clients … if you are worried about your animal, make an appointment! There is no harm in having a veterinarian examine your animal. Hair loss, redness, hives, ulcerative sores … any of the aforementioned physical ailments are signs that an animal has had a negative reaction to Vectra 3D. Vectra 3D is not a systemic medication, therefore lethargy, lack of appetite etc. are not typical symptoms of a reaction. Unfortunately, nothing is completely out of the realm of possibility, after all, dogs are as individual as humans. Unless you are a licensed veterinary technician and are operating under the supervision of a doctor, I cannot advise putting in a IV catheter, or beginning fluid administration. Complications can arise very quickly, and you do not want that on your conscience. Please consult your veterinarian regarding further treatment.

• 42. Jenn  |  December 15, 2011 at 2:19 pm

My 8lb Maltichon (Maltese & Bichon mix) has a horrible flea problem. Today I purchased Vectra 3D along with Capstar and Zodiac Eden Flea & Tick Shampoo for Dogs. I gave her the Capstar and bathed her. How long after bathing her should I wait to appy the Vectra 3D?

• 43. knurse  |  December 15, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Wait about 1 week to apply the Vectra 3D. Fleas have been awful this year … in general we usually recommend starting out with 1 product (Vectra 3D) and then add Capstar if needed. You also need to do a comprehensive cleaning DAILY with full vacuum. Make sure to empty the bag outside the house. Make sure that all pets in your household are being treated. Although you may not see fleas on any other animals, I assure you when their primary meal wagon is no longer usable, they will jump ship to whomever is available.

• 44. Jasmine  |  March 1, 2012 at 8:19 pm

I just put Vectra on my puppy today. I was holding him while my boyfriend was applying the medication. He keep moving him and it was so difficult to put it on. He applied it on the skin but it is so much medicinde for such a small dog and alot of it was on his coat is that normal do you think that the medicine was used correctly. I am really worried that it will not work and he will get fleas or ticks or I am going to have to redose him.

• 45. knurse  |  March 2, 2012 at 9:19 am

Applying topical medications is an ART! It does sometimes take a couple of tries to figure out how best to apply … when best to apply … where best to apply … etc. Puppies can be especially difficult, they have never experienced this before, so of course they will be obstinate. I find that it is best to apply the product later at night when they are winding down for the evening. We do not recommend re-applying medication. It’s good that you are experimenting now … there are a couple of months before flea and tick season really kick in. You’ll be a pro by then ;)

• [...] I just found this- Vectra 3D: Flea and Tick Prevention Arlington Animal Clinic which indicates we might just be riding out the egg cycle. I did wash their bedding when I treated [...]

• 47. jessnye  |  March 20, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Haha, I was just going to ask the same question that the previous poster wrote! I used Vectra on our old dog last spring when he had fleas and it worked great, so I’m also using it on our new puppy we just got Saturday, and he freaked out and started rubbing on the couch right after we put it on him. :) He’s 11.1 lbs and his dose goes up to 20lbs, so I’m not too worried that he’ll rub too much of it off, but I did put him in his crate anyway. But it was hard to get it on his skin! My husband was holding him for me, too! I find I can never get it all on one spot, and I guess it’s better to do several spots anyway. I ended up doing a pretty long line (like 3-4 inches) from his shoulder blades down his back.

• 48. Sandy  |  April 25, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Is there a Vectra 3D for cats? The Vectra I have says for fleas, but I need to take care of the ticks too.

• 49. Arlington Animal Clinic  |  April 25, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Unfortunately, the Vectra website shows 3D for dogs only. If you choose to use Vectra for cats, you would want to use something else in addition to protect your cat from ticks.

• 50. Lori Gale  |  May 1, 2012 at 9:12 am

I use Vectra 3d and have good results with it – now I am going to use Revolution for heartworm control – would it be safe to administer the two drugs one every two weeks?

• 51. Arlington Animal Clinic  |  May 3, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Using both Vectra 3d and Revolution would be a bit too much and still leaves you without a dewormer. We suggest using Heartgard to help prevent heartworm and the Vectra will keep you protected from fleas, ticks and mosquitoes for the month.

• 52. raymond  |  May 3, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Hi, I am from Singapore , humidity high, warm country. Does vectra 3d works well in country like singapore or asia.. may i know the cost for it?

• 53. Arlington Animal Clinic  |  May 4, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Hi – I’m afraid I don’t know, I would suggest asking someone in your area. Best of luck!

• 54. Laura  |  May 5, 2012 at 11:06 pm

I have been using vectra, as the vet advised that over frontline, for 3 months.
    we just applied another dose on 04/20/2012. the puppy has had a persistant flea problem. The vectra 3 d does not seem to work. I am also concerned as I see alot of comments that it does not work well for ticks. My last dog died of lymes disease.
    I think I would like to change to Frontline, as this is not working with my puppy at all.
    He is a Goldendoodle, 6 months, and we carefully put it on each month…. but it does not work on him.
    could it be that the vectra is not effective on all breeds of dog… or those with hair?
    doesn’t seem to work.

• 55. Arlington Animal Clinic  |  May 7, 2012 at 11:01 am

I’m sorry you haven’t been happy with Vectra – it should work for all dogs regardless of hair type. Since your dog has had a persistent flea problem, it may be possible that you have a larger infestation elsewhere. Have you had your home checked by an exterminator?

• 56. Brenda  |  May 17, 2012 at 11:59 am

Will applying Vectra in just one spot harm my 67 pound Rottie?

• 57. Arlington Animal Clinic  |  May 17, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Not to worry, it will not harm your dog! For larger dogs, ideal application would include 5-8 different spots along your dog’s back. However, applying to multiple spots is a suggestion, not a requirement, so you may rest assured that your dog will be protected for this month.

• 58. Leslie  |  May 19, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Hi, I am having flea problems. My house is infested with fleas. I’ve done everything Im told to do we’ ve used flea bombs, washed everything, thrownaway the dogs bed, sprayed an IGR everywhere and got my dog on vectra 3d. But I have a question I don’t have carpet, I have tile in all my house I sweep about 2-3 times a day and mop daily since the flea infestacion is that enough? Or should I try vacuming? I really hope to get out of this soon I have a 2yr old thats allergic to fleas!

• 59. Arlington Animal Clinic  |  May 21, 2012 at 10:52 am

Oh, no, that sounds terrible! At this point, it’s probably best to give your local exterminator a call and see what the professionals can do! Good luck.

• 60. laura  |  July 11, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Hi–Ihave a 10-week-old pek-chon and I’d like to apply vectra because we live in a very wooded area. I have 3 tubes left from our 55-lb dog who died in april. Can you tell me how much of the 56-95 lb tube to use so I don’t waste these three tubes beore I get a new pack?

Thanks

• 61. Arlington Animal Clinic  |  July 11, 2012 at 4:08 pm

I would definitely agree with your decision to start using Vectra but using one of the 56-95lb tubes on such a small dog could be very dangerous. I recommend purchasing a pack of puppy Vectra for your new dog and using that instead.

• 62. Debbie  |  July 13, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Hiw soon after applying Vectra 3D to our dog can I bathe her?

• 63. Arlington Animal Clinic  |  July 16, 2012 at 2:21 pm

It would be ideal to give your dog a bath before applying Vectra, but waiting at least 4 hours after application of Vectra should be fine.

• 64. stephanie roediger  |  October 4, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Our dogs have never had fleas. We had ticks and used Frontline and Frontline works wonders but when we moved the the ticks stopped and fleas started and they are bad! I used Adams on my dogs and it hasn’t helped at all. It’s supposed to be a good product so I’m not sure if the fleas are just that bad that in return it’s not working or what but I did put Vectra on my dog. My grandmother got it for her Pomeranian and I really needed some at the time and used her Vectra for small dogs on my German Shorthair and he was cleared of fleas but after that I bought Adams and now he has fleas again and this time their really bad. I would say this product is worth buying. Of course you want to make sure you get the right package for your size dog. I’m sure once I purchase the Vectra for dogs up to 85 pounds I will have no more problems. I also want to say not to buy anything from Hartz because it’s causing animals to get sick and some have been known to die.

• 65. Jenny  |  November 20, 2012 at 2:22 pm

We give our two small-to-medium sized, mixed breed dogs Trifexis year round to prevent heartworms along with fleas and other parasites. In order to protect against ticks, we are considering Vectra 3D. Is there any concern about using both products?

• 66. Arlington Animal Clinic  |  December 4, 2012 at 10:22 am

I checked with Dr. Cole and she thinks using both Trifexis and Vectra 3D would overload the pathway. If you’re going to continue using Trifexis, she suggests adding a flea collar to round out your dogs’ protection.

• 67. becky  |  December 8, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Hello put vectra on my mini doxie for the first time she got fleas down at the beach. She seemed a little better for that night. I did not use the whole tube due to conceren she is so small I purchased the 2.5 on up for her and she weighs 8lbs . Do you think it is ok to apply the rest of it?

• 68. Arlington Animal Clinic  |  December 10, 2012 at 11:26 am

You’ll definitely want to use the whole tube and apply all of the medication at the same time. They are dosed out by weight so as long as you purchased the correct size, which it sounds as though you did, you’re OK to use it all.

• 69. becky  |  December 11, 2012 at 4:36 pm

• 70. Jean Winkelman  |  April 8, 2013 at 6:22 pm

Just read one of the above posts in which you recommend not using Vectra in conjunction with Trifexis, but using a collar instead. My dog is a Belgian Tervuren male, with a large ruff, which I keep intact by leaving him “naked” as much as possible, using collars only when we go outside the yard. This dog also has unusually sensitive skin, which is another reason I’m hesitant to put a tick collar on him. Have there been problems from using Vectra & Trifexis together?
    BTW, I found your website by chance, and am SO impressed with the articulate, detailed answers you provide to every question. Just have to say thank you!

• 71. Arlington Animal Clinic  |  April 9, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Thank you so much for the compliment, Jean!! It’s certainly very appreciated :-)
      While we haven’t seen any issues of clients using Vectra and Trifexis together, they both work on the same receptor pathway, so your dog will be at increased rick for an adverse reaction. Here in New England, ticks are rampant, so we suggest adding a collar to ensure your dog is protected. However, in other parts of the country, you may be fine using just Trifexis, or this may be a situation where Frontline is the right product because it works on a different pathway. We suggest speaking to your veterinarian for advice, especially since your dog has sensitive skin. He or she will be familiar with your dog and his skin and can give you a proper course of action.
      Thanks again for writing!

• 72. chris schneider  |  April 23, 2013 at 8:23 pm

I love this product! Only thing that has ever worked on ticks here in ohio. Only down side is the oilyness after application. Lasts more than the 4hrs drytime.

• 73. Teri  |  May 1, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Thanks to all who have written comments. This has been very beneficial in helping me make informed decisions in the care of my pet. Our mini-schnauzer is 10 months old and has been on Vectra for 4 months. We notice after each application she has had the same bizarre reaction. She becomes reclusive, hiding under furniture and scratching. She continues this behavior for 24 hrs. After several days she returns to her rambunctious self. This past time I was reluctant to use this product again for fear of the same. In the past I have used Frontline on my previous mini’s but had a terrible infestation even using it year round. I chose this newer product because it is supposed to be more effective. I have not seen any fleas on her yet but the season is just getting started. I am trying to be proactive as I know how hard it is to get rid of these pesky critters! The jury is still out wether or not I will use this product next month. It is very disheartening to administer something to your pet knowing what the consequences are going to be.

• 74. Arlington Animal Clinic  |  May 2, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Glad we’re able to help! It makes me nervous to hear about the symptoms your mini-schnauzer has after application of Vectra. If she doesn’t have a reaction using Frontline, it may be worth using it and applying it every 3 weeks instead of monthly. I suggest talking it over with your veterinarian and make the final decision. Best of luck!

• 75. Teri  |  May 2, 2013 at 4:23 pm

Thank you for your advice! I will contact my vet before the next application.

• 76. Helen Fitz  |  May 24, 2013 at 8:37 pm

I put vectra on my 26 pound pug and emptied the tube by the time I was halfway to his shoulder blades. Should I open another tube and put a couple of dots between his shoulder blades?

• 77. Arlington Animal Clinic  |  May 29, 2013 at 9:04 am

No, your pug should be fine. The medication will still work even when it’s not applied perfectly, so you won’t want to give him 2 doses. You can work on your technique next month! :-)

• 78. Kate  |  May 26, 2013 at 12:22 am

After using Advantix II and my 1 year old mutt (right around 50 lbs) getting horribly covered in ticks, my vet-tech told me to put Vectra 3D on my dog’s back in a line, not in a number of spots. She told me the nozzle was designed to part the hair so it would get on the skin after simply starting at a spot on the skin where the hair was parted. after reading these comments I’m concerned I didn’t put it on correctly. I put it on on a line and there was a lot that seemed to seep out into the hair, leaving a greasy (kind of) line down my dog’s back. I live next to the woods on one side and a field on the other that my dog loves running through. How long does the product need to be on the dog before it’s safe for the dog to be exposed to ticks? The ticks are insanely thick around here. I’d hate for her to get covered in them again.

• 79. Nick  |  May 30, 2013 at 6:52 pm

I’m considering the Vectra 3d for my German shepherd pup(31 lbs 17 weeks) and and wondering if I should also use a separate heartworm med like triguard of heart guard. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,
    Nick

• 80. Arlington Animal Clinic  |  June 6, 2013 at 9:36 am

Yes, we do suggest using a heartworm medication in addition to Vectra 3d. Best of luck, Nick!

• 81. Cass  |  June 12, 2013 at 9:51 pm

Hello. my husband and I recently switched vets due to moving to NoVa area. this new vet recommended vectra over what we had been previously using, front line. tonight I found a live tick on her! it was small, and I wouldn’t say it was engorged, but it was definitely moving. we successfully removed it, but now I’m debating switching back to front line! I’ve never had this problem in the 5 years of our dog’s life. she routinely receives her vectra and heartgard on the 15 of each month, so she it’s approaching that date. she has been on vectra for the past 6 months.

is finding a live tick normal with a routine dose of vectra? And it’s there anything else I should worry about?

• 82. Arlington Animal Clinic  |  June 18, 2013 at 10:04 am

Actually it’s perfectly normal to find a live tick on your dog when using Vectra. The product causes a “hot feet” sensation when they touch the animal’s skin, so they naturally crawl away from it. In other words, you’re more likely to see them because they’re not feeding on your dog!

• 83. Christi  |  June 15, 2013 at 11:54 am

We got a terrier mix pup at the local rescue a couple weeks ago. The day after we brought him home we discovered he was covered in baby seed ticks. Likely over 100! We took him to the vet and he got a dose of Vectra 3D. In 48hrs, they seemed to all have fallen off. About a week later, we noticed more on him. I pulled them off, took him to the vet who said that we need to treat our yard. 2 days ago (about 2 weeks after we got him), I found 13 more ticks, so I decided to retreat him with the Vectra 3D. It had been 2 weeks since the first dose. I had read online that it wouldn’t hurt him if he got it too close together. It has been almost 2 days since we treated him, and about 15 more have fallen off, and are dying. I see the “zombie ticks”. HOwever, I do notice that it is irritating to his skin. He scratches a lot, and nibbles a lot to get at itches. He feels warm to me, but I don’t know a normal dogs temp. And, this morning, he woke us vomiting. It was mostly saliva, but had a pink tinge. I should mention, we put a lot of diatomaceous earth (specific for bugs in yards, so hoping it is food grade, tho it didn’t say so on the bag) on our yard. I think it might also be drying out his skin.
    My question is, was it harmful for us to give him the Vectra early (vet said 3-4 weeks), what is a normal temp for a puppy, and what signs would we look for if the puppy had been infected by a tick?

Thank you!
    Waco TX

• 84. Arlington Animal Clinic  |  June 18, 2013 at 10:06 am

This is definitely the type of situation where I suggest bringing your animal to your local veterinarian. Generally speaking, Vectra should NOT be applied more often than monthly, and only your vet can tell you if early application will be safe for your particular animal. Good luck!

• 85. Christi  |  June 19, 2013 at 11:16 pm

Had to take pup in for rabies shot, and was able to talk to vet. He’s doing well, but still finding live ticks in his bed. Haven’t seem them on him in a few days. We are thoroughly spraying, in addition to pest control being out. Thanks for your reply!

• 86. Margaret  |  August 9, 2013 at 9:01 pm

I would never using anything else beside Vectra3D. I absolutely love this product. It’s worth the amount, honestly I thought all flea and tick prevention was the same, so I bought a cheaper version. Never, never will I do that again. Thank you vectra, I live in NH and not only has my lab not have any issues with fleas but we haven’t had one tick. Thank you thank you. Remember everyone you get what you pay for and when you use it correctly, which isn’t hard at all, it’s the best product out there. Oh and I have to say I love the tube it comes in, I don’t worry about cutting my digs skin and there’s always enough. I can’t say enough about how terrific this product is for dogs. Once again thank you Vectra 3D!

• 87. Sher  |  August 13, 2013 at 11:19 pm

I have used Vectra for my cat for the past 7 months and love it. It has taken care of ALL fleas and made us a happy family.
    Yesterday I went to our vet to get the regular dose. Never thought anything bout it, she charged me a couple dollars more and said it had went up. Came home and put it on our cat and put her in her cage for a while so it would have time to dry. Turned her out for the night. Today she is a mess. She runs for a bit then lays on her left side. I got in the trash and got the tube out. It was Vectra 3D for DOGS! I flipped it over and it said do not use on cats! I called the vet and they told me to bring her in. He gave her two shots of antidote and is keeping her over night with fluids. I am sick about this! Mad that the vets employee gave me the wrong thing. And mad that I never thought to check to make sure it was what I needed! Just praying my sweet kitty makes it through all this!

• 88. Virginia Spencer  |  August 24, 2013 at 11:24 am

I have to say. I really like this product and this site. I live near Niles Ohio and have an awesome vet for my 3 month old maltipoo, but after all my vets instructions and information on Vectra, I still had some questions. I searched the web, read the brochure that came with the 6 pack of the product I purchased, but it wasn’t until I came upon this site and read a ll the information and Q and A that I had all my questions answered. Thank you for answering everyones questions so thoroughly and providing such a wealth of information to the general public. My new “fur baby” has turned the house upside down but brought such joy to my children and I, theres nothing I don’t want to know about keeping them all healthy and flea free! Thank you for all the info!

• 89. Lyz Stapleton  |  September 6, 2013 at 10:15 pm

any advice for fleas on ferrets? I know vectra is not safe for them, but we are using it on our other pets…we have a flea problem and they are the only ones left to treat

• 90. Arlington Animal Clinic  |  September 16, 2013 at 9:55 am

I would suggest talking to your veterinarian about Revolution for your ferrets. He or she will be able to dispense a specific dose (I don’t believe Revolution nor Vectra are labeled for ferrets).

• 91. kim  |  September 13, 2013 at 8:47 am

Can I use Vectra D on a 8 week old puppy?

• 92. Arlington Animal Clinic  |  September 16, 2013 at 9:54 am

Yes, Vectra 3D can be used on puppies as young as 7 weeks old provided they are over 2.5 pounds.

• 93. Felix Barbour  |  October 19, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Also, for bed bug sufferers, you’ll be glad to know that Dinotefuran, the main ingredient in Vectra3d, is the recommended repellant for Cimex. It is in Alpine Dust, the best bed bug product on the market. So if you apply it to your dogs, you can feel safe knowing that they will not get bitten, and also, your furry friend acts like a walking repellent!

From a friendly vet tech who suffered and conquered bed bugs…. TWICE.

• 94. jean Roper  |  March 13, 2014 at 1:41 pm

My son loves to hug, cuddle and bury his face in our affectionate golden retriever. Is Vectra 3D toxic for my son. if we use it all our dog’s life will my son be exposed to a dangerous amount of these insecticides or whatever other chemicals there are in it. I really wanted to find out about this and since kids often bury their faces in dogs I was annoyed to find complete lack of information on the drug company’s website which makes me feel quite nervous.

• 95. Susannah (nurse)  |  March 15, 2014 at 8:49 am

Hi, Jeanie, thank you for your question. The only time you should be concerned about your son is immediately after application. Technically while Vectra is drying, your son could ingest some of the liquid; it takes approximately 4-6 hours for Vectra to dry. I suggest applying it to your Golden after your son goes to bed so that come morning time, everyone is ready for cuddles!

• 96. Nancy  |  August 19, 2014 at 3:34 pm

Hello, I never had a flea problem in my 16 years of living here. UNTIL this year.. I ended up vacuuming 1 or 2 times every day and also my electric carpet cleaner. I also used Dawn detergent and a fine tooth comb on my dog 15 pounds and my 3 cats; 16 pounds and two much lighter ones. This I did after having used ‘Frontline Plus’ which I reapplied a month later then 3 weeks later. Well I ended up calling my exterminator and he told me that animals seem to become immune to ‘Frontline Plus’. Upon his advice I purchased ‘Vectra’ for all my critters. I went to Lowes and purchased a spray that attaches to the hose outside. In the dark I went out and sprayed the whole yard. The next day I ‘Bombed’ my home with the Hot Spot foggers. I have continued fine combing all 4 animals and have only come across 1 flea. Then I did find 1 flea in a little dish of soap/water I keep under a night light. I’m hoping and Praying that all of my efforts will pay off in the long run. I shall contyiue to comb-check them all for awhile longer. So far I am pleased. The only thing is my vet does not have Vectra.. I had to purchase it from another vet. The lady I spoke to at my usual Vet’s said to put the ‘Frontline Plus’ on every 3 weeks. Well after doing so I realized that was going to be very expensive so I purchased your product at the Vet’s where my exterminator gets his. He has moved and is in a very wooded grassy area and has 3 large breed dogs. He said it has worked effectively on them. So I’m hoping for the same results… Thank You…The only thing I did notice is that some of the solution has dried on the fur itself. I imagine I shall get better with the next application. Which I will purchase if this application does keep the fleas away. I have not had many ticks although I live where it is sandy and right next to a very large pond. This past February my short haired dog, Chihuahua/Fox Terrier did have an engorged tick on his back. Again thank you..

• 97. catherinehcole  |  August 29, 2014 at 2:27 pm

Good luck with the Vectra 3D! We are in lyme central in Massachusetts and have found it to be very effective thus far! What you may see as the solution drying on the fur is actually normal. It shouldn’t be greasy or slippery when you touch it, but you will notice a sort of “sheen” to the coat in the area that the solution was applied. As always, if you’re concerned about anything when using Vectra 3D, please do not hesitate to contact the manufacturer!